POSITION DESCRIPTION: Community Engagement Coordinator
For the position of Community Engagement Coordinator, Build Change is seeking an experienced professional in community engagement with management experience. Familiarity with the “owner-driven” method for construction in context of neighborhood rehabilitation and disaster response projects is a strong plus. Experience in awareness raising campaign is also a strong plus. The successful candidate will possess the ability to strategize, oversee and direct the successful engagement process of homeowners, builders and community members for the implementation of disaster-resistant solutions for new and existing buildings. The Community Engagement Coordinator will work closely with the technical support of the engineering and training teams to develop outreach materials that are technically, culturally and operationally appropriate for spreading in rural communities in Nepal. The Community Engagement Coordinator will ensure the transparency and equity through all phases of the community engagement process and throughout construction implementation. Furthermore, he/she will ensure that timeline and scheduling projections and milestone related to community outreach components of the project are achieved. He/She ensure the coordination of Build Change’s project efforts with partners and local stakeholders (district and VDC authorities in particular). In addition, he/she will oversee the mentorship of community outreach officers and other project staff. Finally, the Community Engagement Coordinator will ensure completion of regular progress reports, as requested by the Nepal Country Director and by project reporting requirements. The ideal candidate is a senior social worker with management experience, a strong Communications and Community Engagement background and management capacities. The position reports to the Nepal Country director and receives technical guidance from the Nepal Lead Structural Engineer.
- Team Management – The community engagement team reports directly to the Community Engagement Coordinator. The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that ongoing, clear and timely communication with the general community through identified communication strategies is performed. The Community Engagement Coordinator is also responsible to ensure that the project objectives and principles are clearly communicated and explained to the community members, that contracts are in good standing, that proper documentation is executed and collected to justify financial disbursements and that adequate support to the beneficiaries is provided. The team has to ensure compliance to the contract by both parties throughout the implementation process. They are responsible for working with the team in order to resolve issues related to contracts, contract enforcement, subsidy disbursements, and other non-technical problems arising with the beneficiaries. The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the timely progress and quality of work of the team, ensuring milestones are met and facilitating the required coordination with the technical team, the training team, the M&E team and the project partners.
- Conception, Development, and Vetting of Outreach Materials - The Community Engagement Team is responsible for, in collaboration with the engineering and the construction training team, designing and developing outreach materials aimed at spreading Build Back Safer information in communities of rural Nepal. These outreached materials are meant to simplify and make comprehensible to community members, homeowners and local builders, the disaster-resistant construction guidelines developed by the Build Change engineering team in conformity with Government of Nepal applicable code and reconstruction standards. All outreach materials must be vetted with key community stakeholder groups before finalization.
- Technical Oversight – The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that all outreach materials are technically compliant with Build Change construction guidelines, and that all outreach materials illustrate technically correct situations encountered in the field.
- Community Outreach Campaign - The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for deploying a community outreach campaign to two VDCs of rural Nepal. The campaign will use outreach materials developed for that purpose by the Community Outreach Team, and will be aligned with Build Change overall Nepal reconstruction strategy. This includes, but is not limited to disseminating flyers, posters, radio messages and animating community events with live presentations, demonstrations and skits, as well as airing outreach videos.
- Information Management– The Community Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating with the M&E team in order to ensure the correct and timely disbursement of funds to the project beneficiaries in coordination with the Project Manager of the project.
- Coordination - The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for project coordination with the Engineering Team, the Training Team and the M&E team as well as with project partners.
- Schedule - The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the project schedule and milestones set up in coordination with the Country Director are met and for resolving issues that impact the project schedule immediately with the various stakeholders.
- Reporting – The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for providing content for the project reporting, internally and externally, on a regular basis, such as weekly, monthly, quarterly and as required by the upper management.
- Field Deployment - The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for community outreach activity that occurs in rural villages, and as such must be willing to spend up to 80% of his/her time in a rural location, and live out of the Build Change field office/guesthouse.
Submit cover letter and resume in English via email to email@example.com with “Engagement Coordinator” in the subject line. Women and citizens of Nepal are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.