I - Mission context
Medecins du Monde – France (MdM-F) is a medical INGO founded in 1980 with 5 priority sectors of intervention: harm reduction, migrant health, health in crises and emergencies, sexual and reproductive health, and environmental health.
MdM-F has worked in Nepal since 1995, initially focusing on TB and HIV control activities in the west of the country. Since 2007 our focus has been in Sindhupalchok District where we have implemented a 9 year project that works with women cooperatives to promote sexual and reproductive health along with support to livelihoods through microfinance activities. Following the 2015 earthquakes we scaled up to provide an emergency response – running mobile medical clinics, rebuilding health facilities, supporting the District Health Authorities, and revitalizing the womens cooperatives. Since February 2016, we have started implementing an early recovery programme in 23 VDCs in Sindhupalchok, which will continue until April 2018.
We are looking for a Project Manager who will be based in Chautara and will manage and ensure the high quality and timely implementation of the project activities by the MdM team and our local partner, line manage MdM project staff based in Chautara, closely coordinate with the District authorities and civil society organizations, and represent MdM-F in district- level forums. This position reports to the Program Coordinator who is based in Kathmandu.
This programme is funded by the Big Lottery Fund, United Kingdom.
Hierarchical positioning: Reporting to Program Coordinator
II - Main responsabilités
- Project Operation
- Coordination with government authorities, local partners and stakeholders
- Partnership Management
- HR Management
- Support and others
III –Responsibility in detail
- Uphold the leading role of project operation in the Sindhupalchok district under direct supervision of Program Coordinator and in close coordination with Medical Coordinator.
- Ensure effective and efficient project implementation, coordination and delivery, synergizing the activities, technicalities, staffs, admin, government authorities, partner and network.
- Prepare annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly plans for effective exécution of the project activities along with budgetary forecast.
- Coordinate the implementation of the combined activities related to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WaSH), Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Health including mental health and Microfinance program activities together with the local partner. Oversee the construction of health focused women cooperative buildings. Ensure program-planning, implementation, and follow up are made in timely manner.
- Oversee the activities of local partner work related to WaSH, DRR and health and the microfinance.
- Support to maintain the M&E system in place for effective monitoring the progresses, results, outcomes and impact of the projects and program activities.
- Support on the program evaluations and contribute to analyses and reports. Participate, analyse and write the field assessments, baseline surveys, and evaluations in field level.
- Ensure the mechanism for field data collection, analysis and documentation and supervise for program communication, documentation and reporting.
- Write and communicate detailed periodic project reports and field incidents.
- Responsible for effective and efficient resource mobilization, financial planning and adhere with budgetary controls.
- Coordinate with logistic department for logistic arrangement and fleet management. Coordinate with Admin department for financial arrangement, administrative operation and internal control.
Coordination with government authorities, local partners and stakeholders
- Responsible for overall coordination with government authorities, local partners, stakeholders and funding agencies etc. in Sindhupalchok. Coordinate for monitoring and evaluations conducted by funding agencies, government authorities and HQ.
- Represent MdM in the local, district or regional forums and government authorities, and participate in such forums, meetings, trainings, conference and workshops. Liaise with similar projects and look for cooperation and exchange of information with INGOs/NGOs.
- Responsible for conduction of District Project Advisory Committee meetings and joint monitoring or evaluation programs from government authorities. Assist on Central Project Advisory Committee and other central level activities.
- Observe the political situation and security context in project sites & nationwide and update to General Coordinator.
- Ensure effective and smooth partnership relationship with local partners and effective operation of MdM project including HR, admin and finance activities.
- Support the local partners in planning, organizing, implementation of MdM project especially in the areas of WaSH, DRR, Health and the microfinance activities etc.
- Identify needs for technical assistance to local partners and develop plan and program for capacity building of local partner.
- Capacitate the local partner for their exposure towards local and national coordination in relevant forums and institutions.
- Coordinate for technical backstopping from MdM to local partner on health, WaSH and DRR related activities.
- Responsible to supervise field team in Sindhupalchok. Manage approximately 8-10 project staff and ensure that they are fulfilling their work plans.
- Ensure that staff under his/her direction are adhering to the MdM policies and procedures. Ensure MdM values and work culture within the team. Responsible for team motivation, high morale and synergy.
- Ensure smooth team mobilization in field including management of staffs leaves, travel days, logistic support, and administration & HR concerns.
- Assist and participate on new position recruitment of field staffs and supervise the onsite recruitment of daily workers or local resource person.
Support and others
- Support and coordination with Coordinators for smooth operation and synergy of mission office.
- Abide by all the procedures and guidelines in the MdM and comply with all prevailing agreements, legislations and conventions.
- Help to build the positive relation within the teams and external parties.
- Communicate all the external communications in notification to your supervisor,
- Execute any other function required by Program Coordinator and General Coordinator.
IV- Profile sought:
Essential(will not be considered without meeting these requirements):
- Previous experience in District-Level Project Management / District Coordination role in an INGO in post-earthquake setting
- Master’s degree with 5 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with 7 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrable experience in managing health projects
- Be comfortable living and working in Sindhupalchok
- Fluent spoken Nepali and English, with the ability to write in English at a professional level
- Good IT skills including Microsoft Office package.
- Experience working in Sindhupalchok
- Education / extensive experience in public health
- Exposure on DRR and/or WaSH will be an asset
- Demonstrable ability to multi-task, be flexible and handle a high workload
- Project Management qualifications, leadership and decision making skills, administrative and organizational skills
DURATION: 12 months, possibility of extension
DUTY STATION: Chautara, Sindhupalchok District
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Mid-January 2017
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 31st December, 2016
How to apply: send an updated CV in English with 3 references and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org